​​​admissions banner

​Re​sidency Requir​​ements

Student Residency Information
Each student at the time of admission or readmission is classified according to his/her legal residence. Residency determination will be made as of the first day of the semester of application. Students that have been classified as a NON-RESIDENT of California for ​educational purposes are subject to non-resident tuition. Non-resident students pay both the $46 per unit fee and the $332 per unit non-resident tuition. Out of country non-resident students also pay an additional $16 surcharge per unit.

Establishing Residency
Students that intend to become residents of California must fulfill the Physical Presence and Intent requirements listed below.

Physical Presence
The student must be physically present in the State of California for one (1) year prior to the start of the term for which he/she is applying or enrolling for. The one-year period begins when the student is not only present in California but also has demonstrated clear intent to become a permanent resident of California. Students will be required to provide proof of continuous presence in California for the past (12) months. This may be accomplished by providing a rental/lease agreement, utility bills, employment pay stubs, etc. for the past (12) months in the student's name.

Students must clearly verify intent to make California the permanent place of residency by (no one factor is controlling): 

  • Living in California for two consecutive years 
  • Paying California State tax as a resident 
  • Establishing and maintaining an active California bank account 
  • Registered to vote in the State of California 
  • Owning residential property 
  • Possessing a California Drivers License 

Non-resident students that wish to change their status or students that feel they have been classified as non-residents in error will need to apply for re-classification of residency status. To change status, students must complete the Supplemental Residency Questionnaire Form and submit it along with supporting documentation to the Admissions & Records office; incomplete forms will not be accepted. This form must be completed in advance of the term you wish to be considered for resident tuition purposes. 

Supporting documentation consists of three proofs of residency demonstrating physical presence and intent. Two items must be dated at least one year and one day prior to the start of the term for which you are applying for. These items must not be older than two years prior to the start of the term. The third item must show that the student is currently a resident of California. 

Examples of acceptable documentation are: 

  • California Driver's License 
  • A resident California Tax Form (540) 
  • California Vehicle Registration 
  • Rental/Lease agreement 
  • Bank Statement 

Click to submit Supplement​al Residenc​​​y Questionnaire Form

International Students
Students that are in the United States with a visa that allows establishment of residency, must fulfill the one year physical presence and intent requirements listed above. Students with a visa that precludes establishment of residency, will be charged the California enrollment fee plus non-resident and out-of-country fees. Students with visa type B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2 must apply and enroll in the International Student Center. 

California Non-resident Tuition Exemption ("AB 540")
Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).


  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years. 
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam). 
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so. 
  • Students who are non-immigrants [for example, those who hold F (student) visas, J or B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption. 
  • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law. 
  • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration. 
  • Non-resident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be "non-resident". 

Click to submit No​n-resident Waiver Form

California Non-resident Tuition Exemption ("SB 141")
Students who are U.S. citizens and who may presently reside in a foreign country will be exempt from nonresident tuition by meeting the following requirements: 

  • Demonstrates a financial need for the exemption. 
  • Has a parent or guardian who has been deported or was permitted to depart voluntarily under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act. 
  • Moved abroad as a result of the deportation or voluntary departure. 
  • Lived in California immediately before moving abroad. 
  • Attended a public or private secondary school in California for three or more years. 
  • Upon enrollment, will be in his or her first academic year as a matriculated student in California public higher education. 
  • Will be living in California and will file an affidavit with the community college stating that he or she intends to establish residency in California as soon as possible. 
  • Documentation shall be provided by the student as required by statute as specified in Ed Code section 76140(a)(5). 

Click to submit the California No​n-resi​dent Waiver Form​.​

AB 2210​ Student Exemptions

The state provides for students who have been granted special immigrant visas or were admitted to the United States as refugees the right to be exempt from paying non-resident tuition. Learn more by reading Assembly Bill AB 2210 and Article 6 “Exceptions to Residence Determination”.​

                                Read AB 2210
​​​                               Read Article 6​