​​​​​​english banner

​ ​


English studies is an academic discipline that includes the study of literatures written in the English language, English linguistics, and English sociolinguistics. More broadly, English studies explores the production of and analysis of texts created in English.

Career Options

Career options​ for students who get a degree in english include: advertising manager, public relations manager, technical writer, freelance writer, news reporter, announcer, digital copywriter, teacher, librarian, editorial assistant, lexicographer, magazine journalist, social media manager, copywriter, grant writer, editor, and content manager.​

​​Student of Distinction

​ ​

Brandalyn Bredehoft Brandalyn Bredehoft

Norco College student Brandalyn Bredehoft was selected as the 2021 Student of Distinction in the discipline of English​.

“(Professor Nikki Capps) nominated me, and for that, I love you. I love you so much, and I want to thank you so much for all your support over the years,” said Brandalyn. “You taught me how to become a tutor, and that's really what has helped me get here today. And I've found so much fulfillment in this line of work.”

To read more of Brandalyn's story, click here​.

Academic Programs in English

The academic maps below will give you an idea of the classes you need to take. However, please meet with a counselor to personalize your education plan.

​School Trailhead for Arts & Humanities
Suggested Initial Coursework​​
Associate of Arts (AA) Degree - Area of Emphasis (AOE)
in Communication, Media and Languages​ - CSU Pathway

Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) to a CSU or UC School - English
Pathway Map for ADT to a CSU or UC School - English

​Additional Resources

​​What can I do with this major? (English)​​​
​​​​​Riverside Community College District General Education (RCCD GE) Requirements (PLAN A)​​​​
​​​California State University General Education (CSU GE) Requirements (PLAN B)
For students who would like to transfer to a campus in the California State University (CSU) system
​​​​​Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) Requirements (PLAN C)
For students who would like to transfer to a campus in either the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) system

​English 1A vs. English 1A+91

What are English 1A and English 91?  What's the difference between ENG-1A versus ENG-1A+91?

​English 1A​
English 1A+91
  • English 1A is a 4-unit English Composition class that fulfills the college writing requirement.
  • Every student has the right to enroll directly into English 1A without the extra units of English 91.
  • Expect interactive instruction and activities related to reading and writing.
  • Expect feedback from instructors.
  • Expect access to additional support such as embedded tutors, office hours, the Learning Resource Center, and the Writing and Reading Center.
  • English 1A+91 is Eglish 1A (see description to left) and English 91, a 2-unit support course.
  • English 1A+91 are linked together; to stay enrolled in one, you must stay enrolled in both.
  • Even through English 1A+91 are two separate classes, it will feel like a single, 6-unit english 1A class taught by the same instructor for both classes.
  • English 91 provides you with additional time in the classroom for even more feedback, guidance, and support.


How Am I Placed into English 1A vs. English 1A+91?

  • You will be placed directly into ENG-1A if: You have a high school GPA of 2.6 and above or earned EAP (Ready) or earned EAP (Conditionally Ready + ERWC with C- or higher).
  • You will be placed into ENG-1A with the option of taking English 91 if: You have a high school GPA of 1.9 to 2.59. However, the Norco College English faculty recommend that you enroll directly into English 1A without 91.
  • You will be placed into ENG-1A with the requirement of taking English 91 if: You have a high school GPA under 1.9. However, you can opt out of this requirement with a simple form that is automatically approved. The form should take 2 - 3 minutes to complete.
  • You will be placed directly into ENG-1B if: You earned a 3, 4, or 5 on AP Composition & Language or you earned a 3, 4, or 5 on AP Composition & Literature.
  • Note: If you earned a GED and/or it's been 10 or more years since you attended high school, we recommend that you choose between English 1A and English 1A+91. You can discuss your options with a counselor and/or rea​d over the differences between the two classes.


Challenging Your Placement: Opting into English 1A without English 91

Every student has the right to enroll directly into English 1A without taking English 91. If you have been placed into English 1A+91 as a recommendation, you do not need to challenge your placement and opt into English 1A. Simply enroll in English 1A as you would other classes. If you have been placed into English 1A+91 as a requirement, follow the two steps below.

  • Step 1: Fill out the challenge/opt in form. The form should take 2-3 minutes to complete.
  • Step 2: Submit the completed form. Your form will be processed within 5 working days.​

Please Note: If you choose to enroll in an ENG-1A section tied to an ENG-91 section, you cannot opt out of the ENG-91 section. You must choose an ENG-1A stand alone section.​

Contact Information

Dan Reade
Send Email
Quinton Bemiller
Send Email

​Instructional Department Specialist
Yolanda Stanley
Send Email
Admin. Assistant to the Dean
Eileen Cechini
Send Email
Full-Time Faculty
Steven Camacho
Send Email

​​Nicole Capps
Send Email

Tami Comstock
Send Email

​​Jessica Dobson
Send Email

Andres Elizalde
Send E​mail

​​Lisa Hernandez
Send Email

Kiandra Jimenez
Send Email

Ammanda Moore
Send Email

Natalie Morford
Send Email

Lisa Nelson
Send Email

Dan Reade
Send Email

Cameron Young
Send Email