skip navigation
Who Needs to be Tested?

First-time college students

If this is your first time ever attending college, then ask yourself the following questions:

  • Do you plan to take six or more units?
  • Are you uncertain of your Educational Goal and your Program of Study or major?
  • Are you pursuing an AA/AS degree?
  • Are you pursuing a Certificate?
  • Do you plan to transfer to a 4-year college after Norco College?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are required to take the full Accuplacer assessment tests in English and math.

Returning students

If you were previously enrolled at any of the RCCD campuses and are returning after a break in enrollment, you may need to re-assess.

  • If you took an assessment test prior to July 1, 2001, those placements are no longer valid.
  • If you want to take a class with an English or math prerequisite, you must take the Accuplacer test in that subject.

Transferring students

Some transfer students will be required to be assessed depending on various factors.

  • If you are pursuing a degree or certificate at Norco College and if you have not taken any math or English classes at your previous college, you will be required to take the Accuplacer assessment test.
  • If you have English or Math course work from another college, these can be evaluated to establish whether they fulfill prerequisites to future coursework.

Concurrent Admissions Students

High School Student concurrently enrolled at Norco College (Concurrent Admissions) only need to take the Accuplacer if they wish to take a class with a prerequisite in English or Math.

Former High School Concurrent Admissions students

Please note that you need to apply to Norco College as a first-time college student and not a returning or continuing student.

Whether or not you met the minimum requirements on the Concurrent Admissions test, you may be able to use part of it to meet your English assessment requirements. You may also choose to take the Accuplacer English assessment.

Unless you took Math as a High School Concurrent Admissions student, you will need to take the Accuplacer math assessment.