skip navigation

Chemistry is the study of matter and the chemical reactions between substances. Chemistry is also the study of matter's composition, structure, and properties. Matter is essentially anything in the world that takes up space and has mass.

A degree in chemistry can lead to a career as a pharmaceutical chemist, toxicologist, chemical engineer, doctor or patent attorney.



If you want to enroll in Chemistry 1A, you must have either completed Chemistry 2A or a high school chemistry class with lab AND pass the California Chemistry Diagnostic test.

A student who wants to validate Chemistry 2A based on high school or college coursework may appeal to take the Chemistry Diagnostic Exam. Students must submit school transcripts with a final grade of “C” or better.

Students who wish to take the Chemistry Diagnostic Exam must provide documentation to a counselor, or counseling staff. Acceptable forms of documentation are:

  • Completion of one year high school chemistry with a final grade of "C” or better. (Unofficial and official transcripts are acceptable; unofficial online transcripts must be verified by a counselor or counseling staff.)
  • Completion of a 4-unit college level chemistry course with a "C" or better; inside or outside the United States.

The counselor or counseling staff member will complete the Chemistry Diagnostic Test Approval Form (half sheet). The student will take their copy of the Chemistry Diagnostic Approval Test Form to the Assessment Center to make an appointment to take the exam; or they may call the Assessment Center to schedule an appointment. Keep in mind that the approved half sheet must be brought in on the day of the Chemistry Diagnostic Test.

The 45-minute test consists of 44 questions. It is a pencil and paper test. Books and notes are not allowed but calculators are permitted. Each test booklet includes the Periodic Table of Elements and a table of symbols and abbreviations.

The test covers: Compounds and elements; states of matter; reactions of matter; structure of matter; periodic properties; solutions; qualitative kinetics and thermodynamics; lab skills, and mathematical skills.

Download Sample Questions

Once the test is completed, you will receive your results and details about the Appeals process.



Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) - Chemistry


Listed below are programs of study offered by Norco College and requirements for specific certificates and degrees. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor for individual education planning.

Any request for a course substitution or waiver may be discussed with a counselor and must be submitted for approval to the Admissions and Records Office.

NOTE: Students wanting to transfer to a university may reference course transferability through

For complete degree & certificate information, including required coursework listings, please consult the current College Catalog.


What can I do with this major? (Biochemistry)

What can I do with this major? (Biosystems Engineering)

What can I do with this major? (Chemistry)

What can I do with this major? (Forensic Science)


Student Email
Activate your Student Email to access important notices, class changes, wait list status, faculty messages and more.

Log on to WebAdvisor to register for classes, view grades, etc.
To learn about WebAdvisor functions, such as checking registration date, registering for classes and managing waitlists, click here to view the video "Registration with WebAdvisor."


is available to all Norco College students, faculty and staff.