2012-2013 RCCD Scholarship Information and Reminders
If you applied for RCCD Scholarships by the December 7, 2011 deadline for the 2012-2013 academic year, please read below for information and reminders as to what will happen next. Also, please refer to the timeline, so that you will be aware of the entire process of RCCD Scholarships.
- We are currently processing all applications for eligibility and to determine scholarship recipients. If you are chosen as the recipient of an RCCD scholarship(s), you will be notified by mail in early May 2012 to the address you listed on your scholarship application.
- If you are not chosen as a scholarship recipient, you will also be notified by mail in early May 2012 to the address you listed on your scholarship application. However, don’t be discouraged if you are not chosen as a scholarship recipient because all applications will remain active during the 2012-2013 academic year. Should a new scholarship become available or a recipient becomes ineligible, a current applicant in good standing may be considered for the scholarship.
- For scholarship purposes only, if your address has changed since you submitted your scholarship application, please be sure to notify the Student Financial Services office at your college so that we can send your letter to the correct address. You must also update your address with the Admissions & Records office so that you will receive all future correspondence. Also, don’t forget to activate your RCCD Student email and check it regularly for correspondence.
- If you are chosen as a scholarship recipient, you will be asked to attend an award and/or recognition event. Attendance at these functions is very important in order to receive your scholarship(s). The date(s) of the event(s) will be listed on your scholarship congratulation/award letter that will go out in early May. Please make every effort to attend the event.
- If you are the recipient of a scholarship and you attended the recognition event(s), you will be sent a letter in June 2012 with disbursement information. Scholarships over $250 will be disbursed half in the fall semester and half in the spring semester on verification of eligibility. Scholarships of $250 or less will be disbursed all in the fall semester.
- For students awarded a continuing scholarship, the fall 2012 semester portion of the scholarship will be mailed near the end of August 2012 after we verify your enrollment at any college within Riverside Community College District for the fall 2012 semester (most scholarships require full-time enrollment). Your scholarship funds will be mailed to the address on file with the Admissions & Records Office. Enrollment will be verified in mid-August 2012. If a student enrolls full-time after this time, their scholarship check will be mailed in late- September 2012.
- For students awarded a transferring scholarship, the funds will be sent directly to the recipient’s four-year institution in August, 2012. You must return the Transfer School Notification form included in your scholarship disbursement information letter so that we have record of where to send the scholarship funds. You will need to contact your transfer University for this information. If you do not enroll in at least 6 units at the transfer university, the scholarship funds will be returned to Riverside Community College and awarded to an alternate recipient.
- The spring 2013 semester portion of your scholarship will be mailed in mid-February 2013 after we verify the following:
- You completed the GPA and number of units required by your scholarship during the fall 2012 semester
- You are enrolled in the number of units required by your scholarship at any college in Riverside Community College District for the spring 2013 semester.
- Enrollment will be verified in early-February 2013 (If a student enrolls full-time after this date, their scholarship check will be mailed in late-March 2013)
- If you did not complete the number of units and/or GPA required by your scholarship during the fall 2012 semester, your scholarship may be awarded to an alternate. However, you will be sent a letter in February 2013 with the chance to explain why you did not meet the requirements and the possibility of appealing the decision. The letter will contain a scholarship appeal form for you to complete and submit to the Student Financial Services office at your college. However, please know that submitting the appeal form does not guarantee you will receive the spring portion of your scholarship. You will be notified by mail of the results of the scholarship appeal.
- If you are the recipient of a scholarship, please remember it is very important to thank the Donor of your scholarship funds. Information on how to write a thank you letter will be included in your disbursement information letter. If you are the recipient of the Bernard Osher Scholarship, this scholarship requires a thank you letter before the funds will be disbursed. Please pay close attention to the enclosures in your award letter.
2012-2013 RCCD Scholarship Timeline
- October – December 7, 2011: Scholarship Application available
- October – November 2011: Scholarship Workshops
- December 7, 2011: Scholarship Application deadline
- December – February 2012: Scholarship Screening preparation
- March 2012: Scholarship Screening
- Early May 2012: Award letters prepared
- Early May 2012: No scholarship award letters prepared
- Mid-May 2012: All students notified of their application status
- Late May – Early June 2012: Scholarship Award Ceremonies
- Late July 2012: Continuing/Transfer scholarship checks prepared
- August 2012: Fall 2012 semester scholarship checks mailed
- January 2013: Spring 2013 semester scholarship eligibility determined
- February 2013: Spring 2013 semester scholarship checks mailed