UMOJA is designed to increase academic success among all students at Norco College with an emphasis on the African-American population. A major key to student success is through fostering a sense of community. Through the linking of academic, social, and cultural offerings, the UMOJA program aims to promote student success as well as to develop leadership skills in its members.
With courses focused on African-American culture, experience and literature, UMOJA welcomes any interested student regardless of race, ethnicity or gender. The following is a sampling of courses offered through UMOJA:
- English 60A & 60B -- English Fundamentals (condensed into a one-semester experience)
- English 50 -- Basic English Composition (African-American Focus)
- English 1A -- English Composition (Emphasis on African-American Argument)
- English 1B -- Critical Thinking (Analysis of African-American Literature)
- Guidance 45 – Introduction to College
- Guidance 47 -- Career Exploration/Life Planning
UMOJA focuses on community service beneficial to the student’s educational and personal progress and helps provide students with an opportunity to participate in social, cultural and public service opportunities at Norco College and in the local community.
UMOJA provides services and resources to members in the form of additional counseling services, student mentorship and community as well as priority registration for all Norco classes during enrollment in the UMOJA academic program.
To Apply: Please download the UMOJA Application and submit the completed form to the Norco College Counseling Department (Student Services Building, 2nd Floor)
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
UMOJA Student Success Coach
951.738.7797, Rm. STEM Center, 304
Dr. Lisa Nelson
Professor of English
951.379.7812, Rm. IT 200H
951.372.7101, Rm. SSV 206
Upcoming Events (2017-2018):
UMOJA General Information Flyer and Courses: